Thursday, February 2, 2017

Yes, *That* Chicken Curry

I have thus far written about seven thousand words in this blog.   In that time only one real question keeps coming up.  And so, for you perverts, here it is. 



1-2lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
1-2 Red/Yellow/Orange Bell peppers
1 Large Sweet Onion
1 Can (14oz) Coconut Milk
1 Can (17oz) Coconut Cream
16 oz Chicken Bouillon
2 Tbsp chopped peanuts
Honey (see instructions)
2 oz Fish Sause
Panang Curry Paste is available at any Asian grocery store.
4 oz Can Panang Curry Paste
2-3 TBSP peanut butter
1 heaping TBSP Corn Starch
1/2 bag frozen peas
5-7 Thai Basel Leaves (rare here in the frozen northland)
Red pepper flakes to the limit of your constitution. 
Fresh cilantro. 

Jasmine Rice (buffalo rice)

Thin slice/shave chicken breasts, cut onion and bell peppers into 1/4” wide strips, chop peanuts into 1/8” granules.   In the microwave  heat 2 cups (16oz) water to boiling and add bouillon.   Put rice into cooker and start.

*When you are making one of my recipes, buy some decent bouillon.  *Not* Wylers cubes for god sake.  


This day I forgot to buy the onion.   It still tasted great!
In a very hot pan or wok quickly fry onion  and peppers strips to desired tenderness.   If you use peanut oil in your pan you can get it hotter with less smoke.   

Once the onions and peppers are looking good, lower temperature somewhat and add curry paste and honey.   Stir.  Keep it moving around.  This will both keep it from carmelizing and help to cool the wok more for the next step.  

OK, let's talk about the honey for a moment.  The purpose of the honey is not so much to add sweetness, it is to moderate the spice.   The more honey you add the less spicy the dish becomes.   Generally I put in ~2 TBSP but if we have boring people coming for dinner I will use 3.  I remember once when I was still dialing this all in, I was using more like a teaspoon of honey.  At about five minutes before dinner was served one night, we got a surprise call from a nephew who found himself in the neighborhood.  “of course!” I said, “come to dinner!”   Well the kids dug right in.  My first bite it occurred to me I never asked him if he minded spicy food.   Have you ever watched a 30 year old man, sweat running into his eyes, trying to not flinch under the gaze of a five year old?

Back to the cooking. 

Heat the curry, honey, onions & peppers for about two minutes to open up the flavor of the curry.   Then, add the chicken and cook until nearly done.

Add the peanut butter and blend it into the mix.  Make sure you don't leave any wads of peanut butter mixed in with the chicken. It’s easy to do and surprising how it sticks together and mimics the chicken so get them broken up.

Then add the coconut milk and cream and the bouillon, holding back about a quarter cup or so.   Add the corn starch to the remaining bouillon and stir with a fork until well mixed with no lumps.   Pour the starch mix into the wok.  Allow to heat fully and begin to boil, then add the remaining ingredients except for peanuts.   Personally, if I am cooking for myself and the kids I throw in a bunch of cilantro at this point too.   But, The Wife hates cilantro and so I have to hold it back.

Bring to a lite boil and hold for ten minutes.   Get some rice on your plate and ladle mix over cooked rice and garnish with chopped peanuts and if you are so inclined, cilantro.   I often serve this along side a variation on Pad Thai I am working on developing and might write about some day.

I can't guarantee the same results as my friend The Professor.


This is a common Thai dish usually served over rice however I have made it using rice noodles as well.   I first started working on its reverse engineering when my favorite Thai restaurant chain, Big Bowl, raised their prices by fifty percent, cut the portion sizes in half and watered down the curry.   This injustice could not stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment